The King holds true to directing praise

Stella Birrenkott, Entertainment Editor

The King is the story of King Henry V of England (Timothee Chalamet), when he was crowned king at the age of 18, when he was still old enough to be in high school. King Henry “Hal” is a young drunk, and estranged from the royal family. His father is ill, but he refuses to see him. His younger brother, Thomas is set to be crowned the new King of England, at his father’s request. Hal is played by the brilliantly talented French-American actor Timothee Chalamet, and the French Dauphin is portrayed by the wonderfully talented English actor Robert Pattinson. A french actor playing an english King and an english actor playing a french King. What irony! This David Michod film doesn’t stop there with the irony. King Henry V is crowned King once his brother dies in a battle in Wales and his father dies. At his coronation, Hal is sent a gift of a wooden ball by the French Dauphin, signifying Hal’s childish age and utter disrespect from the Dauphin. Hal doesn’t initially take this as a sign of disrespect, and instead reflects on his classic boyhood (of being a drunk), and continues on with the coronation. His sister Philippa, who just happens to be the Queen of Denmark (classic royal families) warns her brother to be careful, as his advisors have their own kingdoms behind their eyes. The film speeds up a bit at this point, and Hal is apparently questioning an assassin sent to kill him from King Charles of France. The film ends on a point of irony, and it’s almost a dull stop the battle field heavy movie. The majority of the two hour film on Netflix is set on the battle field, the soldiers fighting for essentially nothing. Princess Catherine, offered up as a bride for Hal by the french Dauphin, is portrayed by the lovely Lily Rose Depp. Depp, however, is only seen in the last twenty minutes of the movie, in a single five-minute long scene. Depp, a talented actress, portrayed Catherine in a short yet astonishing performance. Catherine seems to be the only sesnibly educated person in Hal’s precense, and without giving too much away, smacks sense into the King. The King ended on a dissapointingly fast note, for a two hour film. The King’s two hour runtime flew by quickly, and it was an excellent piece of cinematography. The King was directed by the phenomenal David Michod, was full of fabulously talented actors and told an amazing story. While outstanding, The King had a bit of a hard to follow storyline and the majority of the scenes were of war. It wasn’t my favorite, but it’s incredible if you want to dive into the story of King Henry V.