Victorious, football team prepares for state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Robyn Ryan, Sports Editor

For most high school athletics, a winning tradition is hard to come by. But being 58-4 over the past five seasons makes it hard to disagree that winning is just part of the culture for the Waunakee football team. 

Even a tough lost to DeForest during the regular season was not able to dampen the team’s spirit. If anything, it got them fired up. 

“We just didn’t like how losing felt. Adding a 1 to our record and watching our opponent hold up the conference championship trophy just didn’t sit well with us,” said senior Alec Morgan. 

The team used this as motivation to come back next week more motivated, focused, and physical. Continuing on a five-game win streak, the team is still following through on their goal of “crossing more teams off our list.” 

While battling through big injuries and losing senior safety Lawson Ludwig and junior quarterback Caden Nelson, the team continued to win and has made it to the 2019 WIAA Division Two Football Championship on November 22 at Camp Randall Stadium. 

“We are just working around injuries and putting more threats in each position while getting mentally prepared through film,” added Morgan. 

On Friday, November 15 the Warriors faced Waukesha West at Kettle Moraine. After falling behind by 15 points the defense stepped up with five takeaways and the offense scored 34 unanswered points to secure the 34-15 win.

Junior Sam Lorenz had two interceptions and returned a fumble 40 yards. Senior Joe Hauser had a pick-six that he returned 85 yards to the house to extend the lead and put things out of reach. 

Senior Cole Mobley and senior Alec Morgan combined for 93 yards and three touchdowns while sophomore Andrew Keller caught five passes for 83 yards. Backup quarterback sophomore Quentin Keene was 17 of 21 for 251 yards including a touchdown.

The Warriors face Brookfield East in the state final at 1 p.m. on Friday, November 22 at Camp Randall.