Girls swim earns fifth consecutive Conference Championship

Ebba Harrison, Sports Editor

The Waunakee girls’ swim team won the Badger North Conference four years in a row, prior to their 2019 season. This year, the team once again made a splash in the Badger North and earned their fifth straight title of Conference champion.

“Conference was great!” said junior Hannah Grindle.

On November 2, the swimmers travelled to Baraboo to compete in the meet.

“It was different this year since it was split JV and varsity,” said junior Ashlyn Jakacki. Waunakee varsity started strong, taking first in the 200 Yard Medley Relay. Junior Ella Graf, sophomore Makenzie Wallace, senior Abi Schmeiser, and freshman Grace Blitz finished almost three seconds ahead of their competition, recording a time of 1:49.89.

In her final conference meet, Schmeiser, individually, earned top spots in multiple events. Schmeiser took first in the 200 Yard IM and the 100 Yard Butterfly.

Other Waunakee individuals found success as well. Graf and Wallace earned the top spot in their respective events. Graf finished the 100 Yard Backstroke with a time of 59.81, beating Beaver Dam senior Liz Grenon by one second. Wallace finished the 100 Yard Breaststroke with a time of 1:07.35, two seconds faster than second place.

Waunakee finished with the top score, 475 points. DeForest took second, 100 points behind the Warriors.

The JV girls swim team also won their combined Badger North/South Conference meet.

“Overall, we had a fantastic swim season with lots of individual and team improvement,” said Grindle. “We even had some conference and school records made this season, which was awesome!”

“I thought it was a good season,” said Jakacki. “We all worked hard this year with the new coach.”

Schmeiser, Graf, Wallace and Blitz qualified for State on November 16. They competed in the 200 Yard Medley Relay and placed 21st. Schmeiser also swam the 100 Yard Fly and the 200 Yard IM in which she placed 11th.