Holiday policy

Holiday+policy

Tessa Pauls, Features Editor

It’s that time of year at school where people act like winter break isn’t about and for the sole purpose of giving students and staff the Christmas holiday off. It’s December where everyone is happy to get almost two weeks off school, but every year rules seem to get stricter about what you can or can’t say about the winter holidays. Everyone knows that the break is for Christmas and is less about other holidays. 

Most of our nation’s school schedules are based on Christianity and their holidays. It’s just how school was set up and nothing has really changed; however, it has been changed from Christmas break to holiday break to what it now is, winter break. 

When looking at our school’s Holiday policy it doesn’t explicitly say that this break is to be called winter break or that teachers can’t decorate their rooms. The rule book rather talks about how religious holidays will only be talked about if it is for learning purposes to learn about customary traditions.“Displays or decorations will reflect a balanced perspective of multiple cultural traditions and will have an educational purpose”. 

These sort of rules can be great and have the promise to be meaningful since including all religions is very important and something the people at this school strive for. The goal is to make sure everyone’s beliefs are valued, but our holiday policy doesn’t do that. Instead of teaching about all religions these winter holidays just aren’t ever mentioned.

Instead of pretending that not every single member of students and staff knows it is Christmas break instead of winter break, other religions should be taught about and there should be an environment of openness and acceptance instead of thinking that talking about religion is bad and against the rules.