New life guarding class this year starts next semester

Tessa Pauls, Features Editor

Starting this semester there is a newly offered lifeguarding course for students interested. It offers one half a credit in gym, the same amount as any other gym class offers. This would go towards to 1 and a half gym credits needed to graduate. Some students hate taking gym because it doesn’t apply to their life; however, next semester this course will instruct and certify students in CPR and being a lifeguard.

This class is taught by Ms.Denkert and Kristy Nacker. The department chose to offer this class over others to meet the needs and interests of the students. They are hopeful that the students that pass the certification will have employment here at the high school pool or outside of the high school setting.The class is half a semester long like most gym classes.

People who were interested in taking this course had to express interest and be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course. They had to Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed, and tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. In order to become certified, students must complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, they must swim 20 yards without swim goggles. Then surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. To finish, they exit the water without using a ladder or steps.