Wrestling celebrates multiple wins and milestones

Robyn Ryan, Sports Editor

2020 has been treating Waunakee Wrestling well. The team has started the new year going 3-0 in Conference Duels and winning the River Valley tournament as a team. It all started on Friday January 3rd at Reedsburg High School. The final team score was 51-19, a great win for the Warriors. Eight of the ten wins were by pins. 

The next stop was Mount Horeb High School. On January 10th, the team celebrated more than just their 65-3 win; they also celebrated junior Sam Lorenz’s 100th career win. He is only the 14th wrestler in Waunakee history to exceed 100 wins. Given he is only a junior, he is on track to pass his older brother, Nate Lorenz, who finished his career with 141 wins. Sam also holds the title of most wins (46), back points(158), and pins (26) in a season (2017-18).

This excitement from this big milestone followed the team overnight and helped lead them to winning the River Valley tournament the next day. As for individual results, junior Kolby Heinz (120), senior Nick Schweitzer (126), junior Brayson Ellis (138), senior Behrett Statz (145), senior Colton Grindle (170), and freshman Jack Schweitzer (195) all won first place. Lorenz placed second at 132, and sophomore Jayden Frie (106), senior Kyle Wilcox (152), and sophomore Kaden Hooker (160) earned third. 

Following the successful weekend came another Badger Conference Duel against Beaver Dam in Waunakee. The final team score was 63-15 and the team received two wins by forfeit. 

Next for the Warriors was a duel against conference rival, DeForest Norskies. The meet was Friday January 24 at Waunakee High School. It was Senior Night. Results were unavailable for this edition.