Recent FFA week was a huge success

Sammy Geraci, Editer in Chief

In the past few weeks, Waunakee High School’s Future Farmers of America (FFA) chapter has been quite busy. On February 24, they kicked off FFA Week with the Districts speaking contest. 

Five students from Waunakee competed in this competition including juniors Emily Gavinski and Molly Krupp competing in Employability Skills, seniors Jenna Shiffman and John Kaney competing in Discussion and senior David Carmen competing in Extemp. Emily Gavinsky will also be advancing to Sectionals on March 31. 

After Districts, the chapter continued its celebration of national FFA week in a variety of ways.

“FFA week went well!” said agriculture instructor and FFA advisor Dustin Winkelman. “We had a bunch of different activities like the blender bike in Kokopelli and the ice cream during lunch… The hay bale toss went really well.”

These activities were not only fun for students, but also offered students exposure to what FFA is all about. With FFA members running every activity, it was a great opportunity to learn more about the organization. 

Then on the following Monday, March 2, Jenna Shiffman won the Sassman Award for her leadership and community service at the Kiwanis Luncheon. 

“The FFA has opened so many doors for me that I wouldn’t have had open. Its helped me grow in ways I didn’t figure I could,” said senior and vice president of community David Carman. “Before the FFA I couldn’t stand in front of people and speak my piece. Now I’m commanding attention and giving full blown presentations without worrying.”