Book Reviews from the Students at Waunakee High

Olivia Dodd

Nowadays with online school, it’s hard for students to take a break from screens. A great way to simply relax from the overbearing screens is to dive into a book! Anonymous Waunakee High School students were asked to review a favorite book they’ve read recently一and why they think others should read it. Through their responses, they explained why they enjoyed it and why you would too! Here are their responses: 

1. We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter. 

One word to describe this book would be suspenseful. The story is about one Jewish family’s experience throughout the Holocaust. It is a realistic fiction/nonfiction-based book on the experiences of Georgia Hunter’s Grandfather, so not all parts of the story are true. This is great for people who are interested in learning about the Holocaust. My favorite character is Addy because I just liked his personality and his determination throughout the story. This book is a good read that shows many different sides of the Holocaust. 

2. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys is a fictional, four-part series that follows Richard Gansey III, Blue Sargent, Ronan Lynch, Adam Parrish, Noah Czerny, and Henry Chang as they attempt to find and wake the Welsh King Glendower who died over 200 years ago. There’s wacky psychics, men who die, live and die again, manifested dream forests, and fathers who become trees. But really it’s just a story of a group of people who become close friends and how they interact with the impossible. My favorite character changes very often and I could never choose just one. I think it switches between Persphone Paldoma and Blue Sargent. Also Gansey and Ronan. Overall, chances are you have a lot of time on your hands right now, so might as well give this series a chance!

3. The Summer of Broken Things by Margaret Peterson Haddix

The book is realistic fiction about two girls that were friends when they were little, but have drifted apart. They are forced to travel to Spain together for a summer and learn some family secrets that change their lives. This is a book definitely for teenagers who like realistic fiction and drama. My favorite character was Avery as her character development was very interesting to see throughout the book. I read it very quickly and enjoyed it a lot. It was very interesting and fun to read.

4. The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

This book is a realistic fiction/romance about a Jamaican American girl (Natasha) and a Korean American boy (Daniel) who are both high school seniors. They both experience internal and external conflicts that affect their high school and college experiences. They also have family problems as they try to struggle their way through finding love and life. Daniel and Natasha meet by coincidence and end up helping and loving each other. I think this book is for people who want to know about educational and historical aspects since it contains information on immigration to why there are so many African American hair salons owned by Koreans. It is also a book about accepting; as it has two interracial characters and features people of color. Currently, I like both the main characters, Daniel and Natasha because it shows them living their lives and trying to find their way in life along with helping their families. They are intertwined as they coincidentally meet and are getting out of their shell. It is currently my favorite book. 

5. Delirium by Lauren Oliver

This book is a dystopian/romance novel that takes place in an alternate US where love is a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. A girl named Lena Haloway is looking forward to being cured, as she watched love destroy her mother and doesn’t want to make the same mistake. Ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets a boy from the “Wilds” who lives under the government’s radar. What happens next? This book is perfect for people who love a good adventure and dystopian with some romance in it as well. My favorite character is Lena, of course, because as the main character you really get to see her life and how she interacts with her dystopian society. I also like her friend Hana who encourages her to try new things and push past her limits. Overall you need to check out this book. This is a trilogy book series that is very adventurous with amazing twists and turns. It is a real page-turner! 

I hope they do! Take a break sometime away from screens, whether it’s from online school, your phone, or the TV, and start reading a book! Look into one of these suggestions and maybe you’ll find a book that you really enjoy. Whether you just finished school or are bored, a book is a great way to fill your time.