Dropping a language is counterproductive to school and job skills

As high school goes on, it becomes more likely that students stop taking a language due to increased difficulty of classes. However, learning a second language proves not only extremely valuable in the workplace, but also in the brain development of children. The extra effort taking a second language requires more than pays off later in life for students.
Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world, with roughly 500 million speakers worldwide. Within the United States there are around 50 million Spanish speakers- making it the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world. The ability to speak Spanish, and other foreign languages, is an essential asset to being a student, worker, and citizen in the United States.
One of the biggest advantages of bilinguality is the opportunity it provides for students. A student who is able to speak a language other than their own is more open to diverse cultures. According to a study conducted by the Center for Applied Linguistics, children who are introduced to a new language at a young are are more likely to appreciate others’ cultural values. They are able to interact with those from different cultures, rather than watch from the outside. When the opportunity comes for the student to travel, he or she would be able to have an in-depth travel experience in which they would be able to experience the culture with a closer perspective.
In terms of the job market, being bilingual is a crucial aspect in the business place. Workers are able to double their market and on average earn 10 percent more income a year than those only speak one language. When applying for a job, being bilingual is a valuable ability in any market. Businesses are becoming more global and interdependent, so with an asset such as bilinguality, your resumé will stand out next to others.
Even people who are not travel or career-oriented can draw a host of health benefits from bilingualism. Bilingual people have higher levels of cognitive function and are more adept at mentally demanding tasks; they tend to be smarter. They are also less likely to develop dementia and Alzheimer’s in their old age, according to a study conducted by the University of California, and have much better memory skills than their monolingual counterparts.
Although language classes are difficult, bilinguality offers more benefits than the classes do rigor. Students who invest the time and effort to learn another language not only are opened up to opportunities both travel and career-wise, but also are subject to many cognitive perks. When presented with the opportunity to learn another language, it is in students’ best interest to “carpe diem.”