Team Chemistry Puts Girls Soccer in Route to Success

At a 10-3-0 record, the girls’ soccer team is in the midst of an outstanding season. The team returns a large number of varsity players from last year, and their performance on the field shows it. Senior Grace Mecham, one of the many returning players, states how the team’s chemistry has played a role this year. “The team has always had great chemistry on and off the field,” said Mecham. “Since most of us have played on the same team for years, we have a lot of confidence playing with each other.”

A team with lots of confidence is always a key factor, and a team that can communicate well is destined to succeed. Junior Maddie Farnsworth elaborates on how these factors are a strength for the team. Farnsworth said, “I think one of the strengths that has stood out to me so far is communication. Everyone is always talking on and off the field.”

Team communication stems from strong leadership, and the team definitely has that. Being a primary leader with lots of experience, Mecham knows what it takes to succeed on the soccer field. “I think that Maddie Farnsworth and [junior] Sarah McLaughlin will have a big impact on the team this year. For the past two years, they have been the two leading scorers on the team and have always helped the team win some important games in the past,” said Mecham. Both Farnsworth and McLaughlin have been on varsity since their freshman year, showing their large contributions to the team that Mecham described. On top of this, there are a number of younger and newer players that could contribute to the team’s success as the year continues. “Senior Vivi Velasquez and sophomore Erin Hippo are both new to the team this year, and I think they will have a big impact on the team,” said Mecham. “Vivi and Erin both stood out during tryouts with their one versus one and attacking skills; I feel like they will help the team a lot this year.”

As always, a good team is sure to set goals for themselves that they will work to achieve during the season. “We want to win conference and beat Mt. Horeb this year because we lost pretty badly to them last year,” said Mecham. “We also want to make it further into playoffs this year, and hopefully make it to state.” Farnsworth added, “We hope to have a really solid regular season and win conference. Also, make a run in the playoffs!”

As a final send-off into the girls’ season, the team is calling out to all students to boost their student section. Senior Anna Andrade said, “The team got superfly new jerseys this year, and everyone should come out to support, so that we actually have a student section this year.” With big goals and high morale, there’s nothing this team cannot accomplish in the season ahead. And with less than a week left in their regular season, the team has put themselves in a great position to succeed into the postseason.