Track Looks to Take Over Regionals

Though May has been awfully wet, Waunakee track and field has still been able to assert their dominance in the Badger North. In the few decent weather days of the month, Waunakee has participated in the Mount Horeb Quad, Viking Invitational, Myrhum Invitational, Varsity Conference, and JV conference, along with a few others.

As mentioned in last month’s article, one major concern for the team was adding depth to replace the strong senior class leaving the high school this June. Well, fear no longer; the underclassmen heard their calling and arrived with force. At the Mount Horeb Quad, freshman Sarah Bova and sophomore Hayley Krysinski put on a show. Each took home the gold in two individual events: Bova in the 200m dash and 400m and Krysinski in the 100m and 300m hurdles. Bova also teamed up with two sophomores and a junior to win the 4×400 meter relay. When asked about her success, Bova relayed excitement. “It’s been very exciting. Going into high school, I knew there was going to be a lot more competition than previous years. I’ve been very happy with my results because of it.”

Though the underclassmen have put on a show recently, the athleticism of the junior and senior class can not be forgotten. Seniors Jordan Ranum, L.O. Johnson, Riley Zuhde, and Jack Mathison, along with junior Sawyer Maly, have all had a tremendous May. The boys picked up seven medals at the Mt. Horeb Quad and also contributed to the boys’ conference championship. Junior Riley Armstrong and senior Taylor Gilmore each respectively added to the success of upperclassmen as well.

With the amount of success thus far, the team looks primed for yet another Badger North championship for both boys and girls. The Badger North Conference was held on May 15. The boys and girls pulled away with big wins and look to light up the track on Monday May 21 at Sun Prairie for regionals. Results were not available for this edition.