Boys’ Tennis Serves up an Undefeated Season

Boys’ tennis has served a strong season so far with an undefeated regular season conference record and conference champions already under their shorts. The work isn’t over yet, though. “We are going into the conference tournament undefeated hoping to win our ninth consecutive title,” said sophomore Ethan Liu. Senior Emory Lietz adds on as well. “We want to progress as many flights through sectionals and state as possible.”

However, this season isn’t just about winning for many of the boys. “This season is a big celebration of our seniors, who have been a key to winning conference 10 years in a row,” said junior Max Christian. One way the boys celebrated was through food, the key to everyone’s heart. “We made many bus stops on our way home from dual meets for food. We frequently visit Culver’s, and we even went to Arby’s once,” said Lietz.

The boys haven’t been without their fair share of challenges, though. “This year has been an interesting season as we had suffered from two ankle injuries, leaving our team down two players,” said Liu. It hasn’t been an issue for the team, though.  “This is the biggest team I’ve been on since joining tennis; we have over 30 guys,” said Lietz, who has been battling an ankle injury himself this season. Though for some teams the surplus might mean more competition and higher tension between the players, Christian laid those whispers to rest. “The team chemistry is very strong, as all the players have found a way to gel together,” he said. “The energy is the highest for a team I’ve been on yet.” This chemistry is evident, as Lietz can’t talk enough about his teammates. “Max Christian is one of the most energetic, positive guys on the team, and he’s always cheering on teammates between his own points. We have four senior captains this year who all act as leaders: [senior] Jimmy Wallis, [senior] Nick Summers, [senior] Ross Reddington, and myself. We lead warmups and set an example for other players,” said Lietz. “Besides captains, Max Christian is another leader. He plays at the top of the doubles lineup with Jimmy, and the two are both hard working, determined, and fun. [Sophomore] Shane Paradisin is a very talented sophomore, and he’s our singles player. Many guys on the team look up to him because of his skills,” said Lietz. Liu chimed in as well. “We have some key players this year. Noticeably we had freshman Reed Christian step up to win many matches at our three singles position. Seniors Ross Reddington and Eric Hermsen also went on to win some key matches such as the deciding match against Sauk Prairie,” said Liu. However, Lietz, in true captain form, turned it back around and ends with an important note. “All players are equally important at the end of the day when you count the number of flights that win.”

The boys competed last weekend in their conference tournament. Freshman Reed Christian and seniors Eric Hermsen and Ross Reddington competed both Friday and Saturday. Christian competed as the 3 singles, but lost his first match Saturday. Hermsen and Reddington took a tough loss to Edgewood in their first match on Saturday as well. Both flights played for third place in their next game.  Results were not available for this edition. However, Lietz leaves readers with an interesting fact, tying into all the weather woes this season: “Fun Fact: tennis balls get ruined if they get wet.”

Quotes

Max Christian : This season is a big celebration of our seniors, who have been a key to winning conference 10 years in a row. We barely won again this year thanks to our 3 doubles team of seniors. Other than that, the team has been very successful in regular season play. The team chemistry is very strong, as all the players have found a way to gel together. The energy is the highest for a team I’ve been on yet. Emory Lietz, Nick Summers, and Jimmy Wallis have been huge keys to success. They’ve helped the team get some big wins and help the team to stick together. Win conference, which we accomplished. This was once again a big milestone that we worked all year for.

Emory Lietz : This year’s team is really strong and fun. We are conference champions again this year with an undefeated regular-season conference record. I think this is the biggest team I’ve been on since joining tennis; we have over 30 guys. As a team, we have a lot of energy and fun. Nick Summers and I are playing doubles for the third year straight, and we play well together. Both our singles and doubles lineups are solid this year, too. Max Christian is one of the most energetic, positive guys on the team, and he’s always cheering on teammates between his own points. We have 4 senior captains this year who all act as leaders, Jimmy Wallis, Nick Summers, Ross Reddington, and myself. We lead warmups and set an example for other players. Besides captains, max Christian is another leader. He plays at the top of the doubles lineup with Jimmy, and the two are both hard working, determined. And fun. Shane Paradisin is a very talented sophomore, and he’s our singles player. Many guys on the team look up to him because of his skills. For this season, our team wanted to win conference, and with regular season wins over all of our Badger north competitors, we successfully claimed the title. Besides that, we are looking forward to the end of the season, and we want to progress as many flights through sectionals and state as possible. It’s always fun to play at Neilson, the UW-Madison indoor tennis courts for these big tournaments. Sauk Prairie is always our toughest conference dual opponent. This year, we faced them at Ripp Park on Senior Night. We were tied 3-3 and the last match was 3 doubles. Our 3 doubles team is made of two seniors; Eric Hermsen and Ross Reddington. The two brought it to three sets and ended up winning on our Senior Night to secure the badger north. Other than that moment, we made many bus stops on our way home from dual meets for food. We frequently visit Culvers and we even went to Arby’s once. All of our players are valuable. Our varsity lineup is very solid, and we can usually count on a win from 3 singles Reed Christian and 1 doubles Jimmy Wallis and Max Christian. Ethan Liu and Shane Paradisin are at the top of the singles lineup, and they are both very talented. But all players are equally important at the end of the day when you count the number of flights that win. Fun Fact: tennis balls get ruined if they get wet.

Ethan Liu : This year has been an interesting season as we had suffered from two ankle injuries leaving our team down two players but luckily we had a surplus of JV players who were ready to step up and we still managed conference wins. The team is doing well with everyone back and we are going into the conference tournament undefeated hoping to win our ninth consecutive title. Our team coming off eight consecutive conference wins definitely wanted to win again. But this year we hope to see more of our players qualifying to continue in the postseason tournaments. We have some key players this year, noticeably we had freshman Reed Christian step up to win many matches at our three singles position. Seniors Ross Reddington and Eric Hermsen also went on to win some key matches such as the deciding match against Sauk Prairie.