Homecoming: taking a look back

Sydney Jezik, News Editor

Homecoming week was an action-packed time of year for Waunakee High School, and at the end of Spirit Week and the dance it culminated in, it is possible to look back and reflect on what made the week so full. “One of the best homecomings we’ve had – everyone had fun, it was safe, no negative incidents… I had a lot of positive feedback on the assembly we had with Johan Killian and Spirit Week,” said Principal Brian Kersten.

Not only were clothing themes picked out for every day, but students had the opportunity to create dance proposals for each other, to engage in motivational assemblies, to celebrate in pep rallies, and to pay to shave or dye the hair of one of their administrators. A total of $675.47 was raised for Make-a-Wish, and Brian Grabarski’s beard was shaved.

On Monday, students wore pajamas. Popular outfits included Snuggies and slippers. Tuesday, they dressed as tourists, and Wednesday, they clad themselves in stripes. Meanwhile, DECA and Pay it Forward collected donations for Make-a-Wish and raffled off parking spots.

Samantha Himegarner
Sophomore Maddy Zaleski participates in Spirit Week by dressing up as a tourist on Tuesday.

On Thursday, students dressed as college students. Some interpreted it as wearing shirts with college logos on them. Some interpreted it as dressing in sweatpants and hoodies. That day, an assembly starring John Killian as motivational speaker, organized by the Above the Influence club, ran two sessions on making good choices. Vocal jazz choir Kee Notes introduced both by singing “Chasing the Sun” by Sara Bareilles. On Friday, students wore their class color shirts. Freshmen wore blue, sophomores wore pink, juniors wore white, and seniors wore black. The pep rally held
Minute-to-Win-It games like “Hanky-Panky”, “Mummy”, and “Elephant March”. Sophomores ultimately won the rally. “My favorite part of homecoming week was the sophomores winning the pep rally because it feels good to win against the other grades,” said sophomore Kobi Spencer. At the end of the day, a parade made its way down School Drive. It incorporated floats from clubs like FFA and Student Council. In the evening, alumni joined forces with current students to cheer Waunakee on to a 45-14 win over Reedsburg. On Saturday, students dressed up, took pictures, and went to dinner before heading to the homecoming dance. The homecoming court was in full style. Seniors Megan Lindley and Michael Saxby were crowned court queen and king. Later, Lindley explained the selection of homecoming court. “The process was simply sending a message out to the whole senior class to vote for 3 girls and 3 guys that wanted to be on court,” she said. The advent of October marks the end of another Spirit Week, another assembly, another parade, another dance and another homecoming season.

Mikaila Olsen
Juniors Kiley Kearns and Nicole Potocki play “Mummy” at the pep rally on Friday.